our beginner course equips you with all the basic skills and knowledge you need to start safely
Check out the course video
What you need to know
The ultimate way to transition from someone who is just interested in packrafting to someone who IS a packrafter.
- Course length is 1 day, and an optional 2nd day
- Online learning component of 8 to 10 hours
- The course introduces the basic skills you’ll need to start your packrafting journey.
- The focus is on skills and knowledge you actually use rather than ones you won’t.
- Courses run from Oct to March or on request (min numbers apply)
- Minimum age is 15
- The course is based on confidence and skill progression. We start slow and push you a little harder as we go, tailoring the experience to your own personal abilities.
THE COURSE CONTENT
- Equipment (use and care)
- Field repair–tips & tricks
- Swimming and general water confidence
- Self-rescue & buddy assistance
- Dealing with currents
- Swift water entry
- Aggressive & defensive swimming position
- Decision making
- Hazards & river dynamics
- Basic paddle strokes
- Using eddies
Bring your own Equipment
If you have your own packrafting gear we strongly recommend that you use it for the course as it is important to get practice with your own kit. If you don’t have your own kit yet though, don’t worry, we have a full kit you can hire for the course for free.
This is not a rescue course. Rather, this course is aimed towards giving you the skills and confidence to avoid situations requiring rescue in the first place. Most beginner paddlers simply do not have the experience or skills to actually be active participants in a rescue scenario involving moving water. We recommend you gain experience after the course by paddling lots of grade 2 water, both on day and multi day trips. Once you have a few good trips under your belt, then join us on one of our skill development clinics to up your skills.
Book your spot
Intro to Packrafting - level 1
do you want new challenges in exciting new places?
If the answer to the question is yes, sign up to the club and follow us on social media to see what we are up to