3 DAYS OF WILDERNESS, A RIVER, A LAKE, SECLUDED BEACHES, STUNNING VIEWS AND THE CHANCE TO CLIMB THE MONUMENT
Our 3-day Manapouri experience will give you a first-hand glimpse of what these little boats make possible. The trip is a one-way journey from Te Anau to Manapouri and offers a great mix of both river and lake paddling. You’ll cruise down the Waiau River
into Lake Manapouri, paddling your way across the lake and its stunning islands for an ascent of the iconic Monument. Each night, you’ll stay either in classic kiwi huts or make camp on pristine, secluded sandy beaches.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
- Perfect for beginners or confident packrafters, as this trip can be guided (an instructor with you throughout) or non-guided.
- We offer professional training before you start to ensure you are comfortable in the boats and on the water
- Your choice to have an instructor along, or take the trip self-guided
- The trip begins and ends in Te Anau
- 1/2 day training + 3 days in the wilderness
WHAT WILL I NEED?
- Rental of packraft, paddle, and PFD included
- Your instructor will bring along a range of camping kit
- We will send you a recommended, personal packing list on confirmation of booking
OTHER THINGS TO BEAR IN MIND
- Transport to and from Te Anau included
After coffee in town we’ll head to the start of the Waiau River, a few short minutes from Te Anau. We’ll spend the morning learning about the boats and doing some training in the calmer upper sections of the Waiau, to make sure everyone is comfortable in the packrafts. Once everybody is happy we release you into the wild and onto the river. You run several easy but fun rapids on your way to the secluded shallow bay where you either camp or stay in the quaint hut of the same name. Beachcombing, bonfires, and swimming are all evening possibilities!
Across the lake! A mix of walking and paddling today as you make your way from one side of the lake to the other, exploring islands and isthmuses and white sandy beaches as you go. You’ll get a good chance to see what the boats are all about today as you’ll be utilizing them fully, with several transitions between water and land. The goal by the afternoon is the Monument, an iconic pinnacle thrusting up out of the lake. For those keen, enough (and without a fear of heights) take a trip to the top to marvel in the view, before finishing the day with a short paddle to Hope Arm and another hut or beach campsite.
Day three involves a gorgeous forest walk along classic kiwi trails back towards Manapouri where you’ll pull out the packrafts one more time for a final crossing of the river or lake. And then it’s back to civilization.
Book your spot
The Manapouri Expeditions
do you want new challenges in exciting new places?
If the answer to the question is yes, sign up to the club and follow us on social media to see what we are up to