PACKRAFTING LEVEL 1
Beginner Skill & Safety Course
Beginner Skill & Safety Course. This two day course is the perfect introduction to packrafting for those that want to learn enough to head out on their own to gain more experience, but do so safely. It is suitable for first time packrafters with limited paddling experience.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Course length is 2 days, usually Sat + Sun
- The course introduces the basic skills you’ll need to start your packrafting journey.
- The focus is on skills and knowledge you actually use rather than ones you won’t.
- Courses run from Oct to March or on request (min numbers apply)
- Minimum age is 15
- The course is based on confidence and skill progression. We start slow and push you a little harder as we go, tailoring the experience to your own personal abilities.
- Equipment (use and care)
- Field repair–tips & tricks
- Swimming and general water confidence
- Self-rescue & buddy assistance
- Dealing with currents
- Swift water entry
- Aggressive & defensive swimming position
- Decision making
- Hazards & river dynamics
- Basic paddle strokes
- Using eddies
If you have your own packrafting gear we strongly recommend that you use it for the course as it is important to get practice with your own kit. If you don’t have your own kit yet though, don’t worry, we have a full kit you can hire for the course for free.
Note : This is not a rescue course. Rather, this course is aimed towards giving you the skills and confidence to avoid situations requiring rescue in the first place. Most beginner paddlers simply do not have the experience or skills to actually be active participants in a rescue scenario involving moving water. We recommend you gain experience after the course by paddling lots of grade 2 water, both on day and multi day trips. Once you have a few good trips under your belt, then join us on one of our skill development clinics to up your skills.
INTERESTED? But not quite sure if the course is for you? Just stick your email in the box below and download a detailed information packet right to your device to help you decide.
Are you READY TO COMMIT? Then scroll down to the “Registration” links to check dates, prices, or to book a spot in a course.
Or, you can ASK US A QUESTION. If you can’t already tell, we’re always happy to talk about packrafting!
DOWNLOAD FREE INFO BROCHURE
Download link will pop up just below the email field !
- Booking this product gives you 50% off continued education ( does not apply to Expeditions )
- Feel free to give us a call or email if you have more questions
GET IN CONTACT
- When you book a spot in a course or on a trip, or reserve a rental boat, we require a 25% deposit of the total cost. This secures your spot or reservation.
- The balance of payments should be paid no later than four weeks prior to the departure/rental date unless other arrangements are made. If you don’t do this, we may cancel your booking or reservation, so make sure to keep track of time as your trip is getting nearer. If this happens, you won’t get your deposit back.
- If you need to cancel your trip or reservation after you’ve paid, you’ll get a refund based on how far in advance of the trip you cancel.
- If it’s more than 12 weeks out, we’ll refund the entire amount, including the deposit, but minus the 1.9% fee which we’ve had to pay to the booking system (sorry!).
- If it’s between 8 and 12 weeks until your big adventure, you’ll lose your deposit, but get back all of the rest.
- Between 4 and 8 weeks you’ll lose the deposit, and get back 80% of the rest.
- Within 4 weeks no refund applies.
- Once your trips, rentals or course has commenced no refund applies due to any circumstances.
GOOD NEWS! If you do need to cancel, we’re happy to honor your booking or reservation by moving it to another available date, whenever possible. We’ll extend this courtesy for up to a year from the date of your original trip or rental reservation, so just get in touch.
WE STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you arrange personal travel/medical insurance. This will protect you for any loss of fares if the trip gets canceled due to unforeseen circumstances out of our control.